Tuesday, January 6, 2009

To Our Loyal Four-Legged Friend Auzzie



June 4, 1997-January 6, 2009

I knew it was going to be hard, but I had no idea how hard it was going to be. It has been a long week at the Smith house. Today we had to say goodbye to our best buddy of 11 1/2 years. Few dogs come along as good as Auzzie. While Dayton was taking a bath tonight he asked me why people had to die. He said it was so hard because Auzzie was so special. I think there are few dogs as good as Auzzie was. He and I have traveled many miles together around Billings. He was the best running partner anyone could ever have. He always seemed so happy and willing to do whatever you asked him to do. You always think your pets will live forever and Auzzie's death just came on way to sudden. To make a long story short he went in for surgery today and never woke up. I sat with him earlier today just petting him telling him it was going to be ok. I had a feeling all week that his time was getting near. It is funny how our gut reaction is usually our right reaction. Robbie brought home Chinese for lunch and oddly enough our fortune said. Time heals all wounds. Today it could not be more true. Our hearts ache right now, but we know Auzzie is no longer suffering any more. Little did we know that 2008 would be his last Christmas. Thankfully enough he got to spend it with his best girl Maddie. She was without a doubt his best doggie friend. I thank the Nemers for always taking such good care of him while we were away. You all were his home away from home and second family. I appreciate the many, many times you took him in. Auzzie had been us through so much with us. We got him right after we were married, he's been through two homes and also had to deal with two new little babies but still loved us every step of the way. Life truly does fly by so enjoy every minute. Auzzie we will never forget you and always miss you. You were one in a million. Thanks for making our lives so wonderful for 11 1/2 years!

This was taken Sunday evening. One of our last as a family with our dear friend. We were not sure how much longer Auzzie was going to have so we decided to dedicate our dinner to him. We make steak and even gave him the "You are special plate today." I hope he felt he was treated like royalty.



I actually really love this photo. I accidently took it while I was trying to set up the automatic timer, but I think it really shows how much Auzzie was loved.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you had to lose your "best friend". There are many warm memories of my first granddog, you were so excited the first time you brought him over to meet us. Thank you for sharing fun times with Auzzie, one of the best is when he was riding up front in the motor home with your dad. Love you all very much, mom/grams

OK Jonckowski said...

Sorry Julie! We always loved old Auzzie! You are in our thoughts.

Murphy Crew said...

We are so sorry for your loss, Julie. What a beautiful tribute to a very special friend.

Amy Fink said...

We will miss you, Auzzie.
Love from the Fink family!

nemer said...

What a beautiful tribute to snausages.
Thinking of you, Robbie, and the boys. We were talking of all the funny times with good ol Auzzie at the dinner table last night but our favorite was a few thanksgivings ago when Auzzie took the Turkey leg from the counter when we were out of the room and went up to Katie's room. That was so funny!! Dave's favorite was how happy Auzzie was when Dave came home from work. He was ready for some boy rough time with Dave. We will miss him tons!
Dave Liz Katie and Ryan

Megan said...

Hugs to you all!! I am thinking about all of you and hoping you are hanging in! I am sure Auzzie loved his wonderful people family even more than you loved him!! Take care!!despl

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Auzzie! The saying is so true that our pets become a part of the family which makes it so hard to say goodbye! Sending warm thoughts toward you during this difficult time.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh Jules! I am so sorry for your loss. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Auzzie was such a sweet guy! They became a member of the family and when they say goodbye, it is never easy. I send a BIG hug! I truly believe our little furry family members will greet us at heaven's gate!

Jami said...

Jules ~ so I'm the anonymous person. I was at work and couldn't figure things out. Biggest hugs to you and all your boys!!! Much love.

Unknown said...

I feel so sad and I hope you all feel better soon I'm sure he's looking down on you.